Thursday 19 July 2012

Road to 2012

My mum and I recently went to an exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery about the Queen. It consisted of photos and footage taken throughout her reign and, along with iconic artistic representations of her (such as those Roy Lichtenstein images), the exhibition documented her life through the decades.

We went to Matilda: The Musical in the West End shortly after going to the exhibition, and unfortunately didn't really have the time (nor the energy after Nadal's Wimbledon loss the night before!) to properly look around all of the Gallery, so I'd love to go back and take my time going around sometime (which is maybe not ideal during the hustle and bustle of the Olympics!). I'm hoping to at least manage to quickly go back there when I'm in London to look at the 'Road to 2012' exhibition which opened today, though.

After some extensive Googling (and it was pretty extensive, because all that Google seemed to want to tell me was that Kate Middleton went to the opening and wore an Olympic themed necklace), I managed to find out that the exhibition consists of pictures of althletes during their training sessions and also of their coaches and the people behind the Olympics, such as the local volunteer gardeners at Greenwich. I highly doubt that the badminton will be particularly well represented (if at all), however I have branched out to rowing in recent months and, from looking at previews of some of the photographs, it appears that it features quite heavily (this is probably due to the fact that Brits don't actually appear to be too shoddy at rowing).

Bearing in mind that the Queen and the Olympics are tied for 1st place in my mental list of favourite British things, I'm hoping that this exhibition will be just as good as the last one! (Dear Kate Middleton, you, your hubby and your brother-in-law are in a close 2nd place, so sorry for not dedicating this post to your necklace or Stella McCartney dress, but I promise to write about you properly if you turn up at the badminton. Hint. Hint. HINT).

No comments:

Post a Comment